Thursday 30 October 2014

Daily Devices: Periphrasis.

The term ‘periphrasis’ refers to a writer's intentional use of excessive language and surplus words to convey a meaning that could otherwise be constructed with fewer words and more direct. The use of this device can be to exaggerate a sentence, to create a grander effect, to beat around the bush and to draw attention away from the core of the sentence's purpose


I'm eating an elongated yellow fruit for lunch today.

In the above example; "I'm eating an elongated yellow fruit for lunch today", becomes "I'm eating a banana for lunch" in its simplest form.

Instead of simply saying “I am displeased with your behavior”, a furious teacher might say, “the manner in which you have conducted yourself in my presence of late has caused me to feel uncomfortable and has resulted in my feeling disgruntled and disappointed with you”. I'm sure we've all had one of those teachers who spoke using periphrasis twenty four hours a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment